Meeting Minutes for March Underwood Hills Neighborhood Meeting
3/11/14

Held at Red Brick Brewing Company

Meeting called to order at 7:05

Kristin Olson opened the meeting with an update on open UHNA positions and then asked for officer reports

Ryan – Treasurer: Provided dues update year to date

Bart – Communications: Mentioned recently distributed flyer and importance of Nextdoor

Chris – Social: Spring Social is May 3rd, time is TBD but likely mid to late afternoon. We need donations for raffle (gift cards from local businesses?) and soliciting food options/ideas. Will work on a one pager flyer to be able to show local businesses to help with asking for donations

Kristin provided an update on advertising. We have successfully added a few new advertisers who are paying month to month, but are looking for some new advertisers willing to commit to an annual contract. It would be more sponsoring the neighborhood than literal advertising.

Eva provided an update on zoning and specifically the Collier rezoning. Eva and Kristin discussed the quality of life zoning and the impacts. Hopefully this helps some with traffic, there is a height limit on buildings up against Collier and Howell Mill, have to have sidewalks put in etc. but the height limit will be higher further away from main streets.

Beau gave a brief re-introduction to a traffic proposal he proposed 6-7 years ago for the Howell Mill Corridor which can be found online on Nextdoor as well as his google drive. Wants people to look at his proposal and follow up with him with questions.

Eva gave an update on the Ashkouti development, the apartment complex that is being built on Defoor which is currently a wooded area. They now have permission to bore under the railroad for sewage. They need to get a land disturbance permits, which can take up to 90 days. Next they will need a building permit, and he told Eva they hope to break ground this summer.

Eva mentioned a sign behind the new complex being built on Collier (The Reserve) mentioned new townhomes coming starting at $600K. She brought this up to mention a larger point of importance of community sticking together and staying involved when it comes to zoning issues.

Elizabeth Skyrnecki gave a beautification update. In honor of Danny Moore the neighborhood will have a clean-up event on 3/22 from 9AM-12PM. Each street will have a dedicated captain to supply clean-up supplies and help coordinate the clean-up efforts. Danny lost his long battle with cancer last year and was a long time and revered resident of the neighborhood and former UHNA President. Please spread the word to your neighbors about this event, and after the event is over please join your neighbors for a block party at the end of Volberg Street. This will hopefully be the first of an annual event to be celebrated right around Danny’s birthday. We are still looking for street captains for Cambria, Mantissa, Seaboard Place, and possibly a co-captain for Ridgeway at this time. Please contact Elizabeth if you would like to help and be a captain for one of these streets.

The Defoor paving project is set to take place on March 24th according to the company contracted to do the job

Elizabeth also relayed that Jenna Schuh has suggested and is researching having a swinging bench at the park in honor of Danny Moore. Hope to have this funded through Paypal donations, or donations can be made to UHNA noting that it is for the bench. The estimated cost is around $1,000 and the location at the park is TBD.

Elections for open positions:

Motion to approve beautification co-chairs Jamie Hargather and John Hocutt were approved

Beau Grant nominated for secretary and approved

Adam mentioned he has started a running group and now has 8 members on Nextdoor. Hopes to start group runs and maybe one day have a neighborhood 5k

Beau spoke on crime. Said to be smart, pay attention, and report anything suspicious

Kristin said no new update on QT

Meeting adjourned at 8:02

Red Brick Brewing CoThe next UHNA General Meeting will be March 10 at 7PM at Red Brick Brewery. We had a great turn out for the last meeting there, and we hope to see even more people there this time. The brewery is providing the space and beer for free. Red Brick Brewery is located at 2323 Defoor Hills Rd.

Agenda

  • Vote for Vacant Positions
  • New Business

From the Office of Councilmember Yolanda Adrean:

Planning will be hosting a Community Meeting and an Open House regarding the proposed re-zoning for Collier Village.  The Community meeting will be held on Monday, January 27th from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Trinity Presbyterian, and the Open House will be held on Friday, January 31st from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Howell Mill Shopping Center.  Please see the meeting notice for additional details.

For additional background, here is the link to the Collier Village Blueprint Plan – http://www.atlantaga.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=11792, which has already been adopted and was the impetus for the re-zoning.  Also attached is the actual re-zoning legislation and corresponding map.

Meeting Minutes for January Underwood Hills Neighborhood Mtng.

Held at the Red Brick Brewing Company.

Meeting called to order at 7:05.

Jim Elgar from the City (Caeser Mitchell’s office) moved to top of agenda to make presentation.

Announced appts.  Andre Dickens appt to Transportation, Utilities, and Community Development.   Felicia Moore to Chair Transportion.

Referendum for Infrastructure bond discussed.

404-330-6052 is Jim’s phone number for any questions about various committees and their functions.

City Council Assignments are posted online on the City’s website.

Reports

Treasurer-all ok, no real report

Traffic-resurfacing from Howell Mill to Collier of Defoor should start in Feb.  Speed and traffic count study done along Defoor between Howell Mill and Defoor Center.  Study showed that the number of cars counted was below threshold to do traffic calming/speed control .   Any concerns send Wyatt an email.  Mention of bike lane in front of Reserve being obliterated.

404-330-6333-Public Works number.  Report stop signs, street signs, potholes, etc.

And ask for report number.

QT report from Wyatt-summary of what went before.  Parking variance denied all along, but BZA approved it.  Private suit to appeal was filed, but the city recommendation to the City Attorney was to side with BZA.  Waiting for judge to pass down his ruling.  Can still be appealed again.  Then QT will still have to rework their site plan to conform to the various other requirements-Belt Plan, etc.

Site plan for Ashkouti development presented and discussed.  (revised)

Bottom right corner abutting Davis Circle is big change.  Eliminated storm water pond-drainage to be under railroad right of way.  Consolidated buildings in bottom left from 2 to 1.  Planning Committee still has open questions, esp. rezoning.  Can it be done Administratively or does it need to come back for new rezoning agreement.  Private agreement will need to be reworked.  Planning comm. Generally agrees, although not unanimously.

Bart-Communications.  Still need advertisers-cards available at the front of the room.  Go out and promote us!  Try to get some more advertiser

Summary of Positions:

Kristen -President

Keri Connely-VP

Neal Carnaby-Secretary

Wyatt Gordon-Traffic

Stephanie Ballard-Playgroup

Have 406 members on Next Door.  Brief overview of Next Door presented by Wyatt.

Budget Discussion.

Based on 100 members paid.  With 406 on Next Door, viewed as not a problem.

Some goals-traffic study, e.g.-are outlined but not actually budgeted.

Membership redefined as running on a calendar year rather than one year from when actually remitted.

Wyatt motioned for approval.  Neal seconded.  23 in favor.  Passed

Vote to fill open positions.  Treasurer, Beautification, Social, Membership.       Review of responsibilities for each position.

Elections

Treasurer-Ryan Sheets-wealth management background passed

Membership-Eric Oosting –tech background-passed

Beautification-

Social-Chris Leciw (?)  Just bought a place on Springer St. (2 volunteers to help)-passed

Toddler structure at Park still broken/missing a piece.  To be followed up on.  Urged to go to City Website-Parks and Rec. and send email.

General discussion of other neighborhood issues.

No other new business.

Meeting Adjourned at 7:53

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To show our gratitude to those who protect us, the Association, along with 5 other neighborhoods, contributed to $85 to help provide Christmas Eve dinners to Zone 2 police officers who were on duty that night.

Red Brick Brewing CoTo kick off the new year, the next UHNA General Meeting will be Monday, January 13th at 7PM at Red Brick Brewery. The company is providing the meeting space and beer for free. It’s a great opportunity to socialize with your neighbors, and to catch up on what’s happening in Underwood Hills. The brewery is located at 2323 Defoor Hills Rd.

Agenda

  • Officer Reports
  • Quik Trip Update
  • Ashkouti Property Update
  • Vote for Vacant Positions (Treasurer, Membership, Social, Beautification)
  • Vote on 2014 Budget
  • New Business

To simplify things for everyone, we are changing how we collect membership dues. Instead of payment being due one year from when it was last paid (which varies from person to person), membership dues will be good for the UHNA Fiscal Year (January – December), regardless of when paid.

That means EVERYONE’S dues are due now, if you wish to support your neighborhood financially. Join or renew now.

Note: if you paid in the last three months of 2013, your dues will be good for 2014 too.  Dues are not a requirement of membership.  Please email Kristin Olson with any questions.

At our November meetings, there were four positions left vacant after the elections.  Get to know your neighbors better and feel a sense of pride and community by getting involved with the Neighborhood Association!  Contact Elizabeth Spangler if you are interested in filling one of these positions.  They will be voted upon again at the January meeting.  We welcome volunteers on any of the committees, as well.  In particular, we need someone who can be our point person for Advertising on the UH website and in these eNewsletters.

Treasurer – The Treasurer is responsible for maintaining the books and accounts of the Association, filing any necessary tax returns, and disbursing funds in accordance with the direction of the Steering Committee.

Membership – The Membership Chair is responsible for maintaining the membership list, along with the Secretary, and for increasing membership awareness, participation, and dues payment.

Social/Welcome – The Social Chair shall provide for social activities (i.e., Spring Social) for the neighborhood and welcome new residents.  (We have someone who handles the Welcome part of this committee.)

Beautification/Park – The Beautification Chair is responsible for organizing park, neighborhood entrance, and other common area clean ups and beautification, as well as any other initiatives in this regard.

Minutes from this months meeting. Click here to download.