At our November meetings, there were four positions left vacant after the elections. Get to know your neighbors better and feel a sense of pride and community by getting involved with the Neighborhood Association! Contact Elizabeth Spangler if you are interested in filling one of these positions. They will be voted upon again at the January meeting. We welcome volunteers on any of the committees, as well. In particular, we need someone who can be our point person for Advertising on the UH website and in these eNewsletters.
Treasurer – The Treasurer is responsible for maintaining the books and accounts of the Association, filing any necessary tax returns, and disbursing funds in accordance with the direction of the Steering Committee.
Membership – The Membership Chair is responsible for maintaining the membership list, along with the Secretary, and for increasing membership awareness, participation, and dues payment.
Social/Welcome – The Social Chair shall provide for social activities (i.e., Spring Social) for the neighborhood and welcome new residents. (We have someone who handles the Welcome part of this committee.)
Beautification/Park – The Beautification Chair is responsible for organizing park, neighborhood entrance, and other common area clean ups and beautification, as well as any other initiatives in this regard.
UHNA Special Meeting
April 15, 2013
Attendance: 41 at meeting start, 43 at meeting end
Moment of Silence for families affected by the Boston Marathon bombings
Quik Trip – Represented by Patrick Connor
- QT is pursuing parking variance to increase their number of spaces at the proposed site at Howell Mill and Defoors Avenue. Currently have 17 parking spaces.
- Currently the city is counting pumps as part of the parking count. QT is asking the city not to count pumps as parking spaces.
- Noted there will be a 3 foot wall along Howell Mill
- Noted the new site plan falls under the Beltline restrictions – store has pedestrian access onto Howell Mill, pumps are moved to the back of the lot, trees and sidewalks will be installed.
- Heather Hubble noted the UHNA Planning Committee voted to deny this variance application.
- Heather Hubble motioned to oppose the request. Motion was seconded.
- 37 opposed
- 5 in favor
- 0 in abstention
- QT will meet with the NPU next Tuesday night.
Defoor Station Apartments
- Heather Hubble’s opening comments:
- Clarified that they could build 211 apartments right now (from approved 1997 site plan) under their current zoning.
- The UHNA Planning Committee has worked with the developer to produce a 10 page private agreement that places more restrictions on them than original zoning.
- Some of the restrictions include: restricted building heights, number of buildings, setbacks to 40 feet with landscape buffer, upgraded sidewalks, fencing location and appearance restrictions, lighting to be cut off fixtures, contribution to the neighborhood of approximately $5600 to help neighborhood’s traffic study, created construction liaison.
- Agreement binds them into site plan shown tonight, elevations, and sidewalk design. Agreement says UHNA can review and make comments on the 50% construction set at the engineer’s office
- Zoning Conditions to be included in the Rezoning Application
- Maximum number of residential units shall be 236 units
- A 40 foot (40’-0”) building setback from the property line shall be required from street Right-of-Ways and Single Family Residential Land Parcels. This setback shall include a minimum of a 20 foot (20’-0) landscape buffer starting at the property line.
- The streetscape shall consist of a minimum of a three (3) foot plant strip located at the back of the curb and a minimum of a four (4) foot concrete sidewalk located at the back of the planting strip. At locations where installation of the new streetscape will result in greater than thirty (30) percent of impact on a trees root zone of a tree greater than fifteen (15) inches in caliper, the existing sidewalk may remain and the planting strip shall not be installed. Refer to Sheet S “Sidewalk Exhibit” for specific streetscape details.
- All entry signage shall be restricted to a 5 foot (5’-0”) height.
- All buildings shall be a maximum of 3/4 story split level, except for the buildings located on Defoor Avenue, which shall be restricted to 2/3 story split level.
- All exterior building lighting, parking lighting, and accent lighting shall utilize cut-off light fixtures that are directed away from Davis Circle, Davis Street, Defoor Avenue, and are directed towards the ground.
- Adherence to the amended site plan shall be a condition of the RG-2-C rezoning.·
- Questions and Comments of note:
- Ballpark construction timeline – Start in 8 months with a 13 month construction duration.
- RAM will manage the property.
- Gated but no 24/7 security.
- All market rate housing. No Section 8.
- Heather Hubble noted that UHNA Planning Committee recommends approving the zoning request considering the private agreement with developer.
- Called a motion to end questions was made, seconded, and approved (3 opposed)
- Called a motion that UNHA approves zoning change with stated conditions and private agreement. Motion was seconded.
- Discussion of Motion called by Eva. Seconded. Eva prefers this be a park but will vote for this plan because it’s better than the old plan.
- Motion to vote. Second.
- 28 in favor
- 12 opposed
- 3 abstentions
- Majority vote is to approve.
- Developer will now take this to the NPU next Tuesday night and then to the zoning board.
Below find the agenda for the April 23rd NPU-D meeting.
Underwood Hills Neighborhood Association
General Meeting Minutes
1710 Defoor Avenue NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
March 11, 2013
Attendance: 47 @ beginning of meeting
Start: 7:07 PM
Financial and Budget
- General review of budget
- Appx $4,700 cash in bank account
- 97 paid members as of today. Goal of 200
- 43 paid members in 2012
- 54 paid members in 2011
- Pros and Cons discussed
- Other nearby neighborhoods that are incorporated: Berkeley Heights, Loring Heights, Springlake, Riverside
- UHNA is currently incorporated. Conversation for discussion only.
- Motion by Heather: UHNA continue to be incorporated with condition that if a ‘no’ vote then officers allow the incorporation to lapse and not do anything with it to renew at end of this year.
- Yes = Maintain the incorporation
- No = Let it lapse and we don’t do anything with it to renew
- Noted that we cannot vote on anything without prior notification in newsletter (“Requiring votes of membership”: dues amount, bylaw amendments, common areas)
- Motion is still on the floor
- Hostile condition and not a friendly comment: Let it lapse and vote again in November
- In favor: 39
- Against: 5
- Abstaining: 4
- Motion passes for the Association to remain incorporated
- Need to create a committee to review bylaws
- Motion to create a committee to review bylaws and make recommendations
- in favor: 46
- against: 0
- abstain: 1
- Motion passes
- Keri Conley will serve as Chairperson of the Bylaws committee
- request was made for volunteers to join Bylaws committee
- Who is a member? You don’t have to pay dues to be a member but need to sign up.
- Need to be more clear about how to become a member. (bylaws review)
- Total of 115 members, 97 paid, 18 not paying
- Spring Social is May 18. Rain day is May 19.
- Motion to move Defoors Ferry Rezoning item to next on agenda
- Unanimous vote to move it to next on agenda
- Motion approved
- Defoors Ferry Rezoning
- Jessica Hill – Attorney for Applicant
- Overview of the project presented
- Rezone to MR-4B – Mixed Zone
- Variance to reduce setbacks from required 15’ t0 7’
- Conditions read by Heather
- Acreage: 1.75 acres. 24 units. 3 bedrooms. $400k sales price projected.
- Elevations: Brick at low levels, then siding.
- Motion to approve rezoning with stated conditions and also incorporates the variances stated
- in favor: 46
- opposed: 1
- abstain: 1
- Motion approved
- March 30th – Quarterly clean up – 9:00-11:00. 10 people needed. One hour.
- May 4 – Spring Clean Up of Park – 9:00-12:00.
- Hillary: email@example.com
- Email her if you see any graffiti needing to be cleaned up
- Traffic study – we need one and it costs 15k
- Road repair – send list to Wyatt by 3/31/13. He’ll send to Felicia Moore.
- 800 flyers passed out in the last few weeks
- Working on getting more signs for yards
- NextDoor has 275 members now. UHNA-Discuss has 269
- Planning Committee
- Shell Station- License Review Board Meeting next Tuesday, March 19 at 5:00 (55 Trinity Ave). To encourage owner to plant trees along Shell station.
- Ashkouti Apartment Development – Planning to submit rezoning on March 12. Elevations shown.
- QuikTrip – Submitted SAP application. QT making adjustments to site plan about SAP comments. Likely on May NPU agenda.
- NC (Neighborhood Commercial) Zoning – Town Hall Meeting sometime soon. Planning committee meeting next Monday night at 7:30 with Berkeley Park representatives.
9:19 – Meeting Adjorns