Archive for the ‘Meeting Minutes’ Category

Underwood Hills Neighborhood Association General

Meeting Agenda

January 9, 2016 – 7:00PM

Red Brick Brewery

I. Meeting was called to order by President Heather Sheets at 7:10pm]

II. Several 1st time attendees present, recognized, welcomed.

III. Community Developments

a. McKittrick Simmons/Sweetwater Holdings updated on various plans: continued transition of Defoor Hills industrial area into offices, retail. Working on a client/redevelopment for old Cagle chicken plant property. Branding efforts re “Upper Westside”.

b. NCA/NPU update from Eva Nason: no NPU mtg in December. NCA meetings continue monthly with current focus on providing forum for Mayoral candidates per meeting.

IV. Officer & Committee Reports

a. Membership: Ivy Way reported that all residents are due for 2017 renewal. At the time of this meeting there were only approx 35 paid households. Will continue to publicize the need for 2017 Renewals on NextDoor, Newsletters, etc.

b. Treasurer: Michael Arndt has taken over from previous Treasurer, still working to complete a full transition.

c. Sponsorships: Kristin Olson announced our current 2017 sponsors:

i. GOLD

1. Moncrief Heating & Air Conditioning

2. The Preschool at Northside Drive Baptist Church

3. Charlie Ballard, Realtor

ii. SILVER

1. The Sitter Tree

2. Arbor Pest Management

3. CrossFit Atlanta

iii. BRONZE

1. Comfort Shield Heating & Air Conditioning

iv. INKIND

1. Florist Atlanta

v. Promotional products (UH flags, koozies) are still available for purchase.

vi. Still need volunteers to help with UH Communications (ex: website, newsletters)

d. Land Use & Planning: Ben Hudgins reported that Howell Mill Corridor CID is progressing.Also identified the need for residents to obtain arborist check of the trees along Seaboard that are in the back of the apartments facing Collier with a view to petitioning the owner to remove the problem trees. (one fell across Seaboard into the Vollmer’s yard and knocked out power to the street). Plans to be refined at next UH Steering Committee meeting.

e. Traffic & Safety

i. Safety : Heather (for Michael McLaughlin) ‐ Security Patrol continues to function. We need to define the subscription period and start planning for 2017 renewals as well as prorated fee structure for new members.

ii. Traffic: Beau Grant ‐ still trying to recruit interested residents willing to form a Traffic Planning Committee, as a step towards developing a Traffic Plan for Underwood Hills. Interested members should email Beau at bryangrant4@gmail.com . Update planned for next UNHA meeting.

V. New Business

a. President Heather Sheets plans to report back on the Feedback Survey of residents from 2016. This will allow us to better define and prioritize 2017 UNHA plans.

VI. Thank you to Red Brick Brewery for hosting

VII. The next UNHA meeting will be on Monday, March 13, 2017 at 7:00pm. Location to be advised.

VIII. Meeting was adjourned at 8:10pm

Underwood Hills Neighborhood Association Minutes of the General Meeting November 14, 2016 – 7:00PM

1. Meeting was called to order by Kristin Olson, President.

2. Community Developments a. McKittrick Simmons/Sweetwater Holdings was unable to attend as planned. b. Eva Nason updated on recent NCA & NPU activities. Last NCA meeting in September was well‐attended. One current focus is working to insure that the new Falcons stadium brings much‐needed improvement to nearby neighborhoods such as Vine City and English Avenue. Next meeting will feature a Mayoral Candidate Forum. NPU meeting on 11/22/16 will focus on developments on Marietta Street as well as election of Officers.

3. Officer & Committee Reports a. Land Use & Planning ‐ Ben Hudgins b. Traffic & Safety i. Security Patrol currently has 168 members, including some of the local apartment/condo complexes, allowing us to have 3 Patrol shifts per week. ate ii. Approval of 14 security cameras in District 9 by City Council includes 1 to be installed at Ridgeway/Harper intersection (at the Park). iii. Beau Grant volunteered to assess interest in forming a Traffic Planning Committee, as a step towards developing a Traffic Plan for Underwood Hills. Interested members should email Beau at bryangrant4@gmail.com if they are interested in participating. Update planned for next UNHA meeting. c. Underwood Hills Park Teen Committee reps updated on raising funds for new exercise equipment at the Park, with an initial goal of at least $2400 in order to receive a matching $2400 from Park Pride. Donations of at least $150 to Park Pride are encouraged and will qualify the donor for an engraved brick at the Park. Please see the NextDoor site or UNHA facebook page for more details.

4. The following nominees for the respective UNHA positions stood for election: a. President ‐ Heather Sheets b. VP ‐ Beau Grant c. Secretary ‐ Mark Kirby d. Treasurer ‐ Michael Arndt e. Planning ‐ Ben Hudgins f. NPU ‐ Eva Nason g. Membership ‐ Ivy Way h. Communications & Sponsorship ‐ Kristin Olson i. Traffic & Safety ‐ Michael McLaughlin j. Social ‐ Chris LeCraw k. Play Group ‐ Macayla Peterson l. Beautification ‐ Lindley Brahman m. Elections ‐ Adam Karcz With no positions being contested, a Motion was made to vote on the entire slate at once; Motion was seconded, and all present voted “aye”, with none opposed. Thank you to all those who stepped up to serve in 2017.

5. Thank you to Red Brick Brewery for hosting, and please support our 2016 sponsors (check them out on the UNHA website).

6. The next UNHA meeting will be on Monday, January 9th, 2017.

7. Meeting was adjourned at 8:20pm

Underwood Hills Neighborhood Association  Minutes of the General Meeting:

September 12, 2016 – 7:00PM

 

1. Meeting was called to order at 7:10 by Kristin Olson

2. Community Developments

a. Lori Smith discussed the November MARTA referendum to add $0.005 to the City of Atlanta sales tax collections to expand and enhance MARTA. Goal to raise $2.5B. Potential projects include Beltline Rail.

b. Erin Gallagher from Lifecycle Building Center: non‐profit, community warehouse promoting green construction and renovation. LBC sells recycled building materials, offers educational workshops. Donations accepted. Open House on 9/24.

3. Officer & Committee Reports

a. President ‐ Kristen Olson discussed UNHA Officer elections which will take place at the November 14 meeting.

i. All positions are open and available to any interested member, whether the incumbent plans to run again or not.

ii. Confirmed open positions include President and Treasurer

iii. Any members interested in standing for election should advise Adam Karcz (Elections Committee Chair).

b. Treasurer – Ryan Sheets, reported that finances are in good shape.

c. Land Use & Planning

i. Deborah Nail of Upper Westside Antiques updated the membership on her Zoning Variance request to remain at 42 parking spaces for her antiques and art gallery. UNHA Planning Committee supports this. VOTE taken by show of hands ‐ all votes were in FAVOR, no opposed.

ii. Shane Murphy & Eva Nason mentioned upcoming Northwest Community Alliance (NCA) meeting to be held Wednesday, September 21, 7PM at the Northside Church of God, 1736 Harper St (at Defoor). The agenda will include Mayoral candidates.

d. Traffic & Safety ‐ Hemant Piduru (on behalf of Michael McLaughlin) updated members on the Security Patrol. It has been in effect for 5 weeks. We still need additional members to join in order to expand coverage.

4. New Business

a. Cynthia Williams gave several updates on community involvement opportunities. Look for updates on all of these on NextDoor:

i. Our AFD Station 23 will be the featured local station during 6/17/17 city‐wide AFD open house.

ii. Atlanta Community Emergency Response Team ‐ training citizens in emergency preparedness, no cost.

5. Thank you to Red Brick Brewery and please support our 2016 sponsors:

a. 1824 DeFoor http://www.1824defoor.com/

b. Handyman of Marketing http://www.handymanofmarting.com/

c. Moncrief Heating & Air hꕶp://moncriefair.com/

d. Keller Williams Peachtree Rd ‐ Ashley Vierra http://www.ashleyvierra.kwrealty.com

e. Collier Chiropractic http://www.collierchiropractic.net/

f. Comfort Shield Heating and A/C http://www.comfortshieldhvac.com/

g. Florist Atlanta http://www.floristatlanta.biz/

h. Fusion CPA http://fusiontaxes.com/

6. Meeting was adjourned at 8:15pm

Underwood Hills Neighborhood Association, Minutes of the General Meeting: July 11, 2016 – 7:00PM

I. Meeting was called to order at 7:10 by Kristin Olson

II. Community Developments a. Pam Lu presented information regarding 21st Century STEM Academy, a new K‐8 private school near Emory U, opening Fall 17. MIssion is to provide a more affordable, high‐level private school alternative. b. Update from Elizabeth Vason Hollister ( elizabeth@westsidecid.org ) from the newly formed Westside “CID” (Community Improvement District). Howell Mill Corridor businesses opt in to special CID tax, with expected $400‐500k in funds managed by a Board made up of CID‐member businesses.

III. Officer Reports a. Ryan Sheets, Treasurer, reported that finances are in good shape. With the additional Membership Dues gained at Spring Social, plus sponsorships, and expense control, we are on track to have a small surplus for the year, barring any significant unexpected expenses. Expecting a $4000 contribution from 1824 DeFoor to come later in the year.

IV. Committee Reports ‐ consider joining one of our committees! a. Ben Hudgins, Chairman of Land Use & Planning Committee advised that deferments are no longer allowed for “NPU” (Neighborhood Planning Units) decisions, Yes/No only. b. Ivy Way, Membership Chairman advised that membership is slightly up vs last year, mainly from new members gained at Spring Social. Number of UNHA Members is still a small % of total UH “NextDoor” members. Everyone keep recruiting your neighbors. c. Traffic & Safety report by Michael McLaughlin was focused on the Security Patrol project. We have raised $35k or our $40k goal and hope to have the Patrol started sometime in August. Working on securing the additional insurance coverage needed and yard signs for participants. Detective Kevin Leonpacher (14‐year APD veteran) coordinates several area Patrols and was our special guest. He described the Patrol operations in more detail. A lot of detailed information concerning the Patrol is available on the UHNA website, and be sure to check the FAQ section.

V. New Business a. Cynthia Williams gave several updates on community involvement opportunities. Look for updates on all of these on NextDoor: i. “Push Back” celebration to install the new fire engine at our local station will be held soon. ii. Atlanta Community Emergency Response Team ‐ training citizens in emergency preparedness, no cost. iii. Citizens Fire Academy, a hands‐on, 6 wk course to inform and educate Atlanta residents about their fire department and its operations. Applications are being taken.

VI. Thank you to Red Brick Brewery and our 2016 sponsors: a. 1824 DeFoor http://www.1824defoor.com/ b. Keller Williams Peachtree Rd ‐ Ashley Vierra http://www.ashleyvierra.kwrealty.com c. Collier Chiropractic http://www.collierchiropractic.net/ d. Comfort Shield Heating and A/C http://www.comfortshieldhvac.com/ e. Florist Atlanta http://www.floristatlanta.biz/ f. Fusion CPA http://fusiontaxes.com/ g. Moncrief Heating & Air http://moncriefair.com/

VII. Next UNHA meeting will be Monday, September 12, location TBA.

VIII. Meeting adjourned at 8:20pm

Underwood Hills Neighborhood Association January 11, 2016 – 7:00PM General Meeting Minutes

Call Meeting to Order – 7:15 PM

Officer Reports Treasurer – Ryan Sheets Application for 501c4 status is in process Review of and vote on 2016 UHNA Operating Budget Slight deficit – need more Sponsors and payments from committed Sponsors Vote to approve: Motion from floor to approve budget, seconded. Unanimous Voice Vote – Yea

Steering Committee Reports – consider joining one of our committees! Each member’s contact information is available on our website and in each newsletter that goes out via email. VACANT Chairman Positions (please volunteer): Beautification Communications – residents invited to submit articles/content Newsletter

Membership – Ivy Way 2016 Dues are payable now Renew by paying dues or completing the membership form online at www.underwoodhills.org, in person to Ivy Way, or via mail at P.O. Box 19914, Atlanta, GA 30325.

Traffic and Safety – Michael McLaughlin APD reports Zone 2 crime is down slightly, goal is a 7% reduction this year compared to last year. 152 Responses to Security Patrol initiative with 72 willing to contribute $250/year. Will continue to try to increase support rate. Beau Grant reported that speed humps are approved for Woodland Hills and should be installed in June.

Communications (Kristin) Sign up for Nextdoor at www.nextdoor.com, social media site for neighborhoods. Sign up for eNewsletter at www.underwoodhills.org

No New Business

Adjourn Meeting, 8:30 PM

Underwood Hills Neighborhood Association November 9, 2015 – 7:00PM General Meeting Minutes

Call Meeting to Order – 7:06PM Officer Reports Treasurer – Ryan Sheets – No Report Steering Committee Reports – consider joining one of our committees! Land Use & Planning – Ben Hudgins Howell Mill Rezoning – New zoning is in effect! Thanks to everyone who participated. – Has been officially adopted NPU Updates – Eva Cary Nason – Let everyone knows Moores Mill extension went through with Publix Do you have an interest or professional experience in urban design, planning, real estate, development or related field? Are you concerned about the development that happens in and around our neighborhood? Join the Planning Committee! Membership – Ivy Way Membership Drive – renew by paying dues or completing the membership form online at www.underwoodhills.org, in person to Ivy Way, or via mail at P.O. Box 19914, Atlanta, GA 30325. Membership is on a calendar year basis. Memberships completed now are good for 2016! Park – Molly Epstein & Jenna Schuh Please join us for the follow-up to our October park clean up this Sunday, November 15 from 2-4PM. We need at least six volunteers to make this a success. See you there! New Business QuikTrip Presentation and Vote QuikTrip filed a new SAP, BL-15-04, after several months of discussion with neighbors and Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. UHNA issued a letter of support of the new SAP over the previous SAP after a membership vote on March 9 and entered into a private agreement with QT holding them to the design we agreed upon. Planning Staff has reviewed BL-15-04 and asked QT to make three significant changes: remove a curb cut on Chattahoochee, remove two fueling pumps, and add “windows” to the “rear façade” (which is what we would consider to be the front, the façade along Howell Mill). The Planning Committee has reviewed the plans and has chosen not to make a recommendation to the neighborhood given the changes stem from discussions with the City. QT representatives present new plan and have a Q&A, motion from the floor to vote to not support the amended plan, thus the agreement would be nullified; seconded. Vote YAY – 25/ NAY – 10/ Abstention – 8. Motion passes. Neighborhood Security Patrol Survey Results and Discussion – Michael McLaughlin Michael went over handout including survey results and answered questions. Next steps are to have street captains to gauge more interest and an additional survey to get commitments from neighbors to participate. Elections Adam Karcz led the elections. Requests for nominations from the floor. All candidates ran unopposed, thus a slate was put forth and unanimously elected. There are two open positions the Steering Committee will be trying to fill. President – Kristin Olson Vice President – Beau Grant Treasurer – Ryan Sheets Secretary – Mark Kirby Beautification – Open Communications – Open Planning – Ben Hudgins Membership – Ivy Way Playgroup – Macayla Peterson Social – Chris Lecraw Safety – Michael McLaughlin Elections – Adam Karcz Code Enforcement – Shane Murphy Please submit code enforcement violations to Shane via Nextdoor or email to uhadmin@underwoodhills.org. Discussion with Charlie Jabaley, Street Execs Studio Charlie stated that after shooting outside studio they have closed their studio to only employees, they are having no more outdoor parties, have hired security, and gave out contact info for anyone that has complaints regarding noise. He stated they have 4 more years on their lease. Charlie said he’s committed to being a good neighbor and will make the necessary changes to do so. Q&A followed. Discussion on Crime and Prevention Measures, APD Captain Shea Steed Captain Steed said they are investigating shooting at studio but no arrests yet. She said the noise ordinance goes into effect at 10PM on weeknights and 11PM on weekends and that special events permits would be needed for any outdoor events held at studio. Neighbor and Councilman Andre Dickens spoke briefly on a few topics, including the current status with potholes in and around the neighborhood and the fact they’ve been reported. Thank you to our sponsors: Fusion CPA, Moncrief Heating & Air, Atlanta Law Group, The Defoor Centre, Collier Chiropractic, Comfort Shield, Florist Atlanta and Lutz Cleaners! Adjourn Meeting – 915PM

Underwood Hills Neighborhood Association

September 14, 2015 – 7:00PM

General Meeting Agenda

Call Meeting to Order Officer Reports President – Kristin Olson Vice President – Keri Conley Treasurer – Ryan Sheets Secretary – Beau Grant Steering Committee Reports – consider joining one of our committees! Planning – Ben Hudgins Howell Mill Rezoning Passed ZRB on 9/10.  It will go before the Zoning Committee on 9/16, before City Council on 9/21, and then to the Mayor (max of 9 days on his desk before it becomes law if not signed sooner). QuikTrip Update QuikTrip filed a new SAP, BL-15-04, after several months of discussion with neighbors and Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. UHNA issued a letter of support of the new SAP over the previous SAP after a membership vote on March 9 and entered into a private agreement with QT holding them to the design we agreed upon. Planning Staff has reviewed BL-15-04 and asked QT to make three significant changes: remove a curb cut on Chattahoochee, remove two fueling pumps, and add “windows” to the “rear façade” (which is what we would consider to be the front, the façade along Howell Mill).  The Planning Committee has not reviewed the new plans. Jim Martin of Berkeley Park and NPU-D Chair filed an appeal of the BZA decision with the Fulton County Superior Court on July 6th. The City has responded but no hearing date has been set.  NPU-D issued a resolution in July opposing a liquor license for the QT.  QT has not yet filed for a liquor license. NPU Updates – Eva Cary Nason Do you have an interest or professional experience in urban design, planning, real estate, development or related field?  Are you concerned about the development that happens in and around our neighborhood?  Join the Planning Committee! Traffic and Safety – Michael McLaughlin Neighborhood Security Patrol Discussion Communications and Sponsorship – Bart Nason and Eugen Gassman Looking for people with marketing, branding, and web design experience to be part of our communications team! Membership – Ivy Way Membership Drive – renew by paying dues or completing the membership form online at www.underwoodhills.org, in person to Ivy Way, or via mail at P.O. Box 19914, Atlanta, GA 30325.  Membership is on a calendar year basis. Beautification – Craig Lambert Neighborhood entrance clean-up on Saturday, September 19 at 8:00 AM at Woodland Hills and Collier.  Bring your gloves and spend an hour to help beautify one of our monument signs and entries! Park – Molly Epstein & Jenna Schuh Our semi-annual Park Clean Up will be the afternoon of October 11.  Stay tuned to Nextdoor and UHNA eNews for more details. The sheep are baaaa-ck!  Join UHNA and the shepherd, Jenif, at the park Friday from 4:00-6:00 PM for light refreshments and to pet some of the sheep! Elections – Adam Karcz Elections will take place in November.  If you have any questions about running for an officer or steering committee position, ask Adam or any officer or committee chair.  UHNA WANTS YOU! Social – Chris LeCraw Playgroup – Playgroup dues are $20 and can be paid online at www.underwoodhills.org/play-group/ or via cash or check made out to UHNA and given to Ryan Sheets. Joint Playgroup/Meet the Sheep event this Friday, September 18 from 4:00-6:00 PM. Other Business Code Enforcement – Shane Murphy Please submit code enforcement violations to Shane via Nextdoor or email to uhadmin@underwoodhills.org City of Atlanta Cartlanta Recycling Perks Beginning September 1, Public Works is partnering with Recycling Perks to reward residents for their curbside recycling efforts. Recycling Perks works with local businesses to provide discounts to citizens for simply using recycling carts.  Learn more at www.recyclingperks.com or www.atlantaga.gov/recycling.com. Thank you to our sponsors: Fusion CPA, Moncrief Heating & Air, Atlanta Law Group, Corrective Chiropractic, The Defoor Centre, A to Z Pediatric Dentistry, Shelly Valerio Keller Williams Realty, and Lutz Cleaners! Adjourn Meeting

Special Meeting of the Underwood Hills Neighborhood Association Minutes – August 17, 2015

Meeting called to order at 7:03 PM

Kristin Olson, President, welcomed everyone, purpose of meeting is to take vote on Howell Mill Corridor rezoning

No officer reports

Kristin explained history and purpose of rezoning effort – safer, more walkable, attract more desirable businesses

Kristin introduced Ben Hudgins, Planning Committee Chair, and Karl Smith-Davids, Principal Planner with the City of Atlanta, to talk on Howell Mill Corridor rezoning

Karl – Team walked entire corridor, met with neighborhoods and other stakeholders, drafted legislation for MRC-2-C zoning that is beneficial to businesses, residents, and property owners

Key benefits – restricting specific uses, heights on buildings 35 ft within 60 ft of residential, create further setback requirement along Howell Mill which allows for future road and traffic improvements, limited curb cuts with only egress allowed on Howell Mill if property can be accessed by a side street, easements required for adjacent properties for interparcel connectivity

Ben – Goal is to protect the single family homes, and also make it more neighborhood feel than interstate feel. Restricted to current amount of fast food and auto related businesses. Existing businesses grandfathered in so changes will occur with redevelopment

Q & A –

Billboards only allowed in industrial properties, no new billboards will be allowed with new zoning, current ones are grandfathered until redevelopment of parcel

Why not restrict gas stations to existing two locations rather than two locations in the quadrant? Legally cannot do that

No monetary incentives in rezoning for new development, but encourages development as developers like having more certainty around what can be developed at neighboring properties plus they will not have to go through rezoning unless they want to do something outside of what this allows; thus reducing their risk

Does gas station limitation prohibit electric charging stations from being added to other properties? – Almost certain does not, but will double check and change language if needed.

Rezoning doesn’t apply to renovation/expansion of existing property unless 60% or more of the building is significantly renovated (i.e., addition or reduction of size)

Increased building setbacks allow for flexibility for future traffic needs along Howell Mill (ex: adding lane, bike lane, street parking etc.)

Karl and Kristin explained how this zoning is more stringent than Beltline Overlay District and far fewer items can be administratively varied

Eva Nason, UH NPU-D representative, spoke on how the City made more accommodations to the zoning ordinance after ongoing discussions with the neighborhood than she expected. She was considering abstaining from the vote, but with all the City has done to take into consideration the wants and needs of the neighborhood, she felt compelled to vote in favor.

Motion to vote in favor of the Howell Mill Corridor rezoning legislation (Z-14-024), seconded

31 Yay 0 Nay 1 Abstention

Will be brought up and voted on at next NPU meeting next Tuesday the 25th

Next UHNA meeting will be at Red Brick (location not 100% confirmed as of meeting date but planned) on September 14th at 7PM

APD Officer Tyler Thomas introduced himself as new resident of neighborhood, will be living on Springer St. He will speak at next meeting and will create an email address for neighbors to send questions and concerns and he will act as our liaison between the neighborhood and APD (specifically, Zone 2 and beat 204)

Meeting adjourned at 7:57 PM

Meeting Notes UHNA General Meeting

March 9, 2015, Defoor Centre

Officer Reports:

Read More